Sunday, January 14, 2007

Avatar posts

So for those of you who remember my freakishly obsessive days and endless nights over anime, particularly Fushigi Yuugi and Rurouni Kenshin, during our college years, you might also recall that I was a crazed fansite and fanfic proponent for a majority of that time. I remain adamant about how this may have indirectly cost me my interest in my computer science major and directly nearly lost me my co-op job at Stratus ... although they had me programming test drivers of all muthafoking things, how much interest could I have sustained anyway. (OK, so I don't swear all that well in real life, either, so what?)

With my newfound desire to create a decent string of words (ie, write something meaningful), I recalled those past days of fanfic-ing into the wee hours of dawn with the passion and drive to truly convey my super-character, Yael, and his burdens. You all may be happy to know that I found my posts (13 in all) and just might start re-writing. The immediate problem I see is that I was writing from the perspective of one character then. A full-blown story would dictate more characters. Call me fearful, but that may be difficult - I got very involved with Yael, it's hard to image how much energy it would take to create and write several layers of additional characters. Thoughts, anyone?

And for your entertainment, the beginning:

"Saariyah, listen to me carefully..."

With closed eyes, he bowed his head and sunk into a deeper concentration.

"The words of our God are true, and they are bestowed unto His children. The hearts of God's chosen sing with praises to His mighty Goodness. This very notion, you mustn't forget, for you are destined to lead these people... your people, gentle Saariyah, to victory."

Saariyah allowed himself to be swept away by these words, carried by the faith that the God he loved and worshipped would guide him. As he let the significance of his mother's words imprint on his soul, he told himself that he would not be afraid. He was chosen. And he would obey. "My God, I thank you for your blessings. Please guide me to do Your Will, to show me the righteous path in which I will lead Your children to You. I praise only You."

A soft tingling sensation washed over the praying boy and centered on his right shoulder blade. Saariyah tried to find comfort in that sign, that God was listening and answering, but anguish lashed at him when reminders of his alienation were stirred. The probing tingle on his shoulder blade immediately dissolved when he opened his eyes.

"I... Mother..." He refused to look up.

"You still can't let go, can you, my darling." A pale, but warm hand touched his chin and slowly lifted it. "Don't be ashamed of who you are."

1 comment:

Ruban said...

And then...? You can't just stop the story there!